Pi Day is on March 14 every year. It is a holiday created in 1988 by physicist Larry Shaw to celebrate the pi-incidence of mathematical Pi, 3.14, and Albert Einstein’s birthday, which is also 3/14! Are you ready to celebrate?
This post contains affiliate links, I earn from purchases made from links in this post
How do you celebrate Pi Day?
March 14th, is rapidly gaining in popularity, and rightfully so! The whole basis of the relatively new holiday is to celebrate math and circumference. The first Pi Day Celebration was at the Exploratorium in San Francisco, CA where the founder of the holiday worked. They had a raucous celebration complete with a circular parade and much fruit pie eating!
Truly, anything goes as long as you celebrate circumference and Pi on March 14. Another fun thing to add is getting super mathematical and starting your celebration at exactly 9:26:53 a.m. because that is taking the digits of pi to the extreme 3.1492553.
Pie eating definitely trumps pi calculating or any other mathematical fun around here. Still, there are a lot of other things you can do! Here are a few:
- Have a Pi Day Party – invite your guest and make everyone bring a sweet or savory pie to share! This is how Sweet Bytes OKC began. I got invited to a party and decided to make pies from scratch!
- Order pizza and bake a pie at home. Eat all things round. If you need some recipes, here are some to get you started: French Silk Pie, Key Lime Pie, Lemon Meringue Pie
- Host a Pie Contest at work or with an organization.
- Have a Pi Day Memory Competition. See who is the grand champion at remembering the most digits of Pi. I think they’ve solved it to 9 trillion digits so far.
- Have a pie giveaway! The gift of pie on is a memorable way to spend the holiday. I promise you that the recipients will hope it becomes a tradition!
As I said, these are just a few Pi Day festivities, I am sure you can think of many more now that you have your creative juices flowing!
Pi Day Pie Plates
If you really want to step up your festivities, these pi day pie plates are SO COOL!
Pi Day Pie Decoration Ideas
If you really get into the holiday spirit, you might want to make your own pies. Pie artists really get into going all out and make some extremely creative pies to celebrate. Search the #pieart and you will be amazed!
One easy pi art pie idea can be made using a pi symbol cookie cutter
Here are a few of my own pi day pies from over the years:
Pi Day T-Shirts and Pi Day Decorations
Add more fun to your activities by putting pi symbols everywhere! Balloons, temporary pi symbol tattoos, and even socks and t-shirts abound. I know it’s only once a year, but that doesn’t stop us from going wild!
Can you believe they even have SOCKS! It’s an amazing planet.
Whatever you choose, have some fun, and EAT MORE PIE! If you have a really great time, I would love to see some of your pictures and hear all about it! Either tag me on social media or leave a comment!
Sources for Pi Day Information:
Here are all of my sources for the information in this article. All the history, and much, much more can be found in these links!